As we wind down the year, I’d like to take a moment and look at the highlights of 2012 on NMNPHX.
Although I created this blog back in June 2011, I only blogged for two months before I abandoned the blog. In March 2012, I decided to give this blogging thing another chance. Having made it clear to December, I’d like to take a moment and look at the posts that helped this blog continue on month after month in 2012.
The Best of NMNPHX
Based on WordPress stats, these are the posts that drove the most traffic to my blog in 2012.
- Most commented post: Comments Anyone? with 42 comments.
- Most “liked” post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Everyday Life with 50 likes.
- Most viewed post: CBS, Fox, NBC or the Mouse House: Who Has the Best NFL Theme Music? with 210 views to date.
“Events”/ Accomplishments on NMNPHX
- Despite the 6 month hiatus between August 2011 and March 2012, I still celebrated the 1 year existence of NMNPHX in June 2012.
- I developed the Spotlight Award to continuously promote wonderful blogs that exist.
- I’ve gotten to know so many wonderful bloggers on WordPress.
- I took a blog post from June, Hazy Days of Summer, and edited it into a poem that was published in an online magazine.
- Joined the 20 Lines or Less Community. Unfortunately I’ve been a bit absent on that blog over the past two months, but it is a great place to hang out if you need a central place to meet other bloggers, get some inspiration for blog posts, and get encouragement from fellow bloggers.
- I never did write the Part II to Writing and Being: Painful Memories.
Now I’d like to delve into some of my favorite posts on NMNPHX from 2012.
My Favorite Photo Friday Post: Shopping Cart Pirate Ship
Shopping Cart Pirate Ship: It attracted some attention then sailed away.
I’ve taken better photos, but I attribute this post as the post that got me back into blogging. I was so happy when after posting this one Friday morning in March, six bloggers clicked the “Like” button. I thought, well okay, I can get people to read my blog. I”ll keep going.
The blog continues to develop an audience and I’ve continued to try different types of blog posts to see what works and what feel authentic to my voice. I’ve gone through growing pains with this blog.
This vacant lot above with makeshift pirate ship is undergoing growing pains as well. The pirate ship left after a few days and the lot stood vacant for months. Then in August, construction crews showed up and started building apartments. The apartments are still under construction and the end product should look something like the photo below.
These apartments will eventually fill the lot vacated by the Shopping Cart Pirate Ship.
Much like this blog, that vacant lot has seen many changes in 2012.
Favorite Spam Comment: Spam Comment of the Week: July 30
2012 highlighted consumer fascination with tablet devices, and of course I received spam comments relating to the iPad. However, this spam comment still has my scratching my head. Hilarious as it is, I don’t know that I would be so calm if a beloved relative stole my tablet device and threw it off a building. I also have no idea how Time Warner Cable relates to the comment. It still makes me chuckle when I read it.
Favorite Commuter Chronicles Post: Commuter Chronicles #3: Bert Sugar
The scenario I wrote about in this post took place in July 2011, and mid-March I finally got around to crafting a short narrative about it. A fellow light rail passenger was positive that an old-timey reporter also waiting to board the train was Bert Sugar. I thought the other passenger was full of it – no way that was Bert Sugar. The post went up on March 20, 2012. On March 25, 2012 Bert Sugar died. I quickly wrote a follow up post that day. I know the timing of my story was pure coincidence with Bert’s death, but it still shook me for a few days after the fact.
Favorite Challenge from The Daily Post: Mailing Days are (Temporarily) Here Again
This was in response to the Daily Post’s Weekly Writing Challenge: Mail It In. I lamented the decline of snail mail as well as email. I then pondered what the future of mail in any form would look like.
My Goals for NMNPHX in 2013
- Consider expanding the Spotlight Award to include a “Reader’s Choice”.
- Get better at managing time spent craft blog posts, reading other blogs and leaving coherent comments on other blogs.
- Based on the success of Hazy Days, be more aggressive about working out material on the blog or using inspiration from my blog writings to craft more pieces of work that I can submit for publication.
- STAY MOTIVATED TO BLOG!
That is enough about me and my blog for today. For those of you who make it to the end of this post, I’m very appreciative of the time you took to read through this.
I also want to give a BIG thanks to all of you who continue to stop and check out what I’m doing on NMNPHX. I’m always humbled and amazed when others tell me they enjoy my blog. I’ll admit that at times, I’ve struggled to come up with content for NMNPHX and wondered what was the point of blogging. Then I’ll get a nice comment or email from another blogger about something I wrote and it propels me to keep going.