In the few short months I was on a blogging hiatus, there has been a wave of awards hitting the blogosphere. The most prevalent one appears to be the Versatile Blogger Award (VBA). And I’ve been awarded one. 🙂
Being the research minded individual that I am, I tried to uncover how this award started. About 4 pages into a Google search and 3 pages in to a Bing search, I couldn’t track down the origin of the award. What I did learn was that there seemed to be several variations on how this award was carried out, ranging from the number of people the recipient then needs to nominate/award, to the 7 pieces of information the recipients divulge about themselves, and even the graphic used to display the award.
After my exhaustive internet search about the award (hey, going past the first page of a search engine is considered exhaustive these days) I gave up and decided to embrace the award. While some bloggers seem annoyed by the award, most bloggers seem to enjoy the sense of camaraderie the award fosters. From what I’ve observed, the VBA is a way for bloggers to recognize other blogs and share a little more information about themselves to their audience.
For those who haven’t encountered the VBA yet, here are the rules:
If you are nominated, you’ve been awarded the Versatile Blogger award.
-Thank the person who gave you this award. That’s common courtesy.
-Include a link to their blog. That’s also common courtesy — if you can figure out how to do it.
Thanks goes out to Drew Kail, an artist in the PDX (that is Portland for the uninitiated). If you like art, definitely check out his blog. Drew recently posted a 7 part series on the print-making process which was pretty cool.
-Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly. ( I would add, pick blogs or bloggers that are excellent!)
– Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award — you might include a link to this site.
Here is the tricky part. Right now I only actively follow about 10 blogs and I don’t want to just throw in some random blogs that I’ve just visited once or twice. So I’m not nominating 15 blogs. Instead, I added a blogroll, titled Blogs You Should Know (yes it’s a rip-off of SYSK).
If your blog appears here, then consider yourself nominated for a VBA. I’ve been meaning to add a blogroll and this seemed as good a reason as any to add one. This way, recognition of other blogs I think are cool are constantly recognized on my blog.
– Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.
1. I’ve always lived in the Phoenix area but I never meant to stay here this long. Circumstances just always kept me here for one reason or another. I still plan to move somewhere else one day, but the PHX will always be my home.
2. I studied Economics and Public Administration in college. Yeah.
3. Despite my introverted nature, I joined a co-ed fraternity during my first year in grad school.
4. I used to hate tomato soup, but now I like it.
5. I quit the school marching band in high school in favor of taking guitar class. No regrets on that one.
6. I was quoted in a 2009 book on teen library programs.
7. I may be an active user of Twitter, WordPress and Linkedin, but I still refuse to open a Facebook account.